Reading the Unconsoled!
Thursday May 06th 2010, 2:49 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

I really loved reading the first chunk of this book. As always, I wish I had more time to really dedicate to reading. I never get more than an hour at a time or so. For this particular book, time went by so unbelievably quickly. I started reading before I went to bed, and suddenly two hours had gone by and I felt like I was in a trance. That seems a little dramatic– let’s jut say that it was a unique experience. Especially because I was half-delerious at the time of reading.

I felt a very strong lack of clarity– intended ambiguity to time, place, events in general. I also love the use of the name “Ryder”. It seems like a pun; a pun on “writer” and a pun on the fact that the protagonist seems to be on some kind of ambiguous ride throughout the story. I like thinking of it as both, because the writing style in this story is most definitely unique and I find it hard to classify it in any realy other category. It is as if the narrative is being told in a “dream-mold”– the way we would dream, only it is not an actual dream. I’m sure this statement is full of contradictions, but I am having fun musing on the writer’s intentions.

I liked it too. It was dream like and a quick read lets see how the second half will be!!

Comment by    koukla 05.11.10 @ 10:00 pm

I wonder whether people like it because the novel is dreamlike—different from many other books, or because of our interest in dreams. Another “or” would be, both.

Comment by    sharonbox 05.21.10 @ 11:54 am